Friday 24 February 2012

I Will Do Better Than Lumba - Kwaw Kese

Kwaw Kese
 With the political season almost here, musicians have begun jostling for attention and hip life artiste, Kwaw Kese, has thrown in the first salvo, indicating he would do better than what Daddy Lumba did for the NPP if any political party approaches him to do a song.

Since Jewel Ackah did the anthem Arise Arise for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the 90s, it has almost become an unwritten rule for musicians to perform for, align themselves either with or compose a piece for the political parties.

Indeed, some political parties adopted popular hits to run their campaigns or as their theme songs. The New Patriotic Party (NPP) used the popular Cindy Thompson’s Awurade Kasa in 2000.

However, during the 2008 elections, musicians were contracted to compose songs for political parties’ campaign and it looks like the trend has come to stay. Who can forget Daddy Lumba’s 'Nana Winner' for NPP’s presidential candidate Nana Akuffo Addo or Lucky Mensah’s ‘Come Back’ for President Atta Mills.

Talking to 'Showbiz', Kwaw said although Daddy Lumba did a brilliant work for Nana Addo, the Abodam man believes he has the talent to compose a piece that Ghanaians will love better. “All my songs have been hits and with the amount of money I will demand from the political parties, I will do a wonderful song. Lumba is good but I believe I will do better than him”, kwaw Kese said.

The King of the Streets who is noted for songs like Popping, Na Ye Atal, Odamu and Ma Kwan Ndam said he would look for the best sound engineer, get the right lyrics and make sure Ghanaians really enjoy the song.

Kwaw sees no problem singing for any political party because he is a businessman, more so, he said Ghana is a democratic country and everyone has the right to freedom of expression.

He disclosed that, he will work with any political party that approaches him with a good sum of money. “It could be NPP, CPP, PPP or NDC. Whichever comes with the amount I am looking for gets my services. So a party could be the last to approach me but if the money being offered is the juiciest, I will go for that,” he added.

Although he wouldn’t mention the amount, he said the money should be just right to keep him going for the next 20 years if he decides to stop doing music.
 
Asked the reason why he has decided to sing for a political party this year, Kwaw said as a musician, one needs to do other things to avoid going hungry.

Rebuffing the idea that his music career could be jeopardized if he is seen to be aligned to a particular political party, Kwaw said “I am selling a product and any party who wishes to buy is welcome but I don’t think I will be doing any wrong here” he added.

He says he doesn’t have any political party in mind yet neither has he written any song but once he receives the cash from the political party, he will put pen on paper and put something good together.
“I am keeping my fingers crossed for a political party to approach me. I have been waiting for a long time to do this”, he added.
 

Source: Graphic Showbiz

No comments:

Post a Comment