Wednesday 4 January 2012

I May Publish ‘Naked’ Songstress Picture – News One editor

Halifax Ansah-Addo
The editor of the News One tabloid, Halifax Ansah-Addo, has said he is under intense pressure to hold on from publishing a picture of a female musician whose private part was exposed while performing on stage.

The Musicians Union of Ghana (MUSIGA) is the latest institution to join a host of others to plead with the editorial team of the newspaper not to publish the “nude” picture of the songstress come this Friday.

“Our investigations have revealed that whereas there is some proof to the story, this was due to an unfortunate costume mishap,” Okyeame Kwame, the spokesperson of MUSIGA said in a press statement on Wednesday.

“MUSIGA is highly concerned that this issue has gone too far with the media taking great interest in it. The newspaper which broke the story has indicated to publish the said photograph of the musician in an uncensored manner on its front pages on January 6th 2012. ”

It added: “Publishing the private parts of any Ghanaian woman would to a large extent not only be an embarrassment to the artiste in question but to womanhood in general. It can also traumatize and destroy the career of an up and coming Ghanaian superstar. ”

Speaking to citifmonline.com on Wednesday, Ansah-Addo said religious leaders, the National Media Commission (NMC) and some public figures have approached him to “kill” the story, however, he will not take a stance now.

“I will not say I won’t publish the picture. I may censor some parts. I may not publish at all, but as we speak I’m heading into an editorial meeting so we’ll take a final decision on it later today,” the editor said.

Ansah-Addo said he is not on a mission to destroy the female musician in question. He said those pointing to that direction should rather blame the artiste for exposing her womanhood to the public.

“I have heard the plea and I will be sensitive to it. It’s wrong for people to conclude that I’m on a mission to destroy her. Did I put off her panties? She is rather on a mission to destroy herself,” the editor stated.

Later in the day Ansah-Addo posted on his Facebook status: “My editorial team voted on whether to publish or not to publish. There was a split. Today is Wednesday, Thursday is my production day. ”

A status that prompted the editor of the Ghanaian Observer and a lawyer, Egbert Faibille Jnr, to reply thus “I disagree. As editor you bear final responsibility and not the editorial team. Be bold.”



Source: citionline

No comments:

Post a Comment